Friday, May 22, 2009

My first post

This is my first post to my Gender and Communication blog. We are supposed to post a "eureka moment", but I don't really have one this week. I will say I am on vacation in Puerto Rico (my first time here, or ever off the mainland) and being here is making me more aware of how men and women differ. Here I see many tourists, most of the women are all shaved, waxed, and primed but many of the guys are hairy and just letting it "all hang out". Why is it that women are so concerned about their appearance? Some people say we do it for men, which reinforced what I read in the book this week. We are changing and modifying our appreance to appeal to men yet for a man to prime and prime it is "unmanly". If we are not doing it for men, is it society who makes us do these things and is that based on appealing to men, even if we don't realize it? What if I refused to shave my legs and armpits before coming here? I would be breaking a gender expecation for sure, and people would be shocked. Hmm, this trip is perfect timing for this class. With the very gender specific Spanish language and prepping for the beach it is making me more aware of gender differances.

3 comments:

  1. Tonya,
    I believe women also try to look their best for their own self esteem not just for the opposite sex. It makes us feel good about ourselves. We respect and admire our own well being. We appreciate being noticed for it but in the end I do not beleive it's all goaled towards the opposite sex. Well anyway have a good vacation while you checking out the gender situation in another part of the of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya,
    So envious of you right now! :)
    I'd have to agree with Nicole on this one...women do prim themselves to appeal to the opposite sex but ultimately I think we do it for self gratification first. Not sure how comfortable I'd be in my own skin if I'd just let my body hair grow everywhere (summer, winter, spring or fall) or walked around looking unkept.
    Keep up your investigative work while on vacation and continue to report any new findings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,
    I think the same way as Nicolef and Teandra. We always try to look in our best whether we are at home or outside, with family or friends. This is not only for women in US, but all women from all different cultures,and religions want always to look beautiful, young and sexy.

    Have fun in Puerto Rico and enjoy your vacation...

    ReplyDelete