Friday, June 26, 2009

Week 6 Eureka Moment

I had been waiting for my weekly eureka moment to happen and it finally occured when I was reviewing a peers wiki. The wiki prompted me to think about how women are portayed in movies. The movie He's Just Not That into You popped right into my mind. By chance I have read the book and seen the movie. I found the movie was totally different than the book. I picked up the book when I could not sleep at a friends house and found it a quick read. I was impressed becaues the book was writen by a male (ok, it had a female co-writer) but it emphasised being true to yourself and not changing who you are for a man. It said that women should not be so desperate to wait by the phone for a man, but instead, move on to someone who likes them for who they are. It was a completely different twist on what society tells women to do. The movie on the other hand was TOTALLY different. I watched in on a flight and it took the same subject and focused on women being soooo desperate for men and relationships. It was really disapointed because it took something that was a powerful read for women and made it conform to societies preoccupation on women being unhappy without a man. I would love to hear your feedback on the book or movie.

2 comments:

  1. Reply to Robin's blog: I agree with you. She should do what it best for her. I would have personally told her to think about what she wants and not just what her husband wants because having and raising a child is a huge decission. With the way the economy is now may not be the best time to have another child. I wish her the best of luck whatever she decides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,

    I haven't read the book and I've only seen pieces of the movie as it was on at a friends house but noone was really watching it because it was more like a housewarming/social gathering. Anyway, I read your blog and figured that the book would be different then the movie but not a total "spin" different.

    I can't offer my true opinion because I've yet to read the book or watch the movie from start to finish but I think that both sexes are guilty of putting forth their "representative" when dating. If we all were just "who we are" naturally when dating then, there would probably be less break-ups because you'd know from the start what you were getting. Unfortunately, that's just not the case. Too many of us try to be something/someone that we think the other person wants instead of just being.

    That's why I think the best relationships come out those that are friendships first, the walls are already down and you don't have to worry about the "representative" leaving the premises.

    ReplyDelete